If you just got your first Android phone, here are some hand-picked WomenWithDroids posts from an assortment of categories to help you learn how to make the most of it! For our featured and most current posts, see the homepage!
- In Case of Emergency - February 5, 2010 - Renee
- How-To: Folder Manipulation - February 5, 2010 - Renee
- How-To: Droid Copy & Paste - February 9, 2010 - Renee
- On The Move? Pack your Apps! - March 12, 2010 - Liz
- Pandora Radio on the Droid - March 16, 2010 - Renee
- "Droidette" Backgrounds! - March 19, 2010 - Renee
- Must Have Accessory: Battery Only Charging Cradle - March 25, 2010 - CraftLass
- Shortcut: Starred Contacts & Speed Dial - March 29, 2010 - Renee
- App Review: Bookmark Backup and Restore - April 3, 2010 - Ellie
- Quick Tip: Recent Programs Shortcut - April 27, 2010 - Renee
- Not Using Google Voice Yet? - May 9, 2010 - Renee
- App Review: Backgrounds - May 17, 2010 - Ellie
- App Review: AppBrain - May 22, 2010 - Ellie
- On the Move? Car Home - June 7, 2010 - Liz
- Accessory Reviews: Droidette Sleeve & Invisible Shield - June 21, 2010 - Renee
- App Review: OurGroceries - July 4, 2010 - Ellie
- Accessory Review: Tune Belt - July 14, 2010 - Deb
- News on your Droid - July 24, 2010 - Ellie
- How To: Filter Contacts to Phone Numbers Only - August 1, 2010 - Renee
- WomenWithDroids Must-Have Apps - August 13, 2010 - Renee
- App Suggestions for College Students - August 22, 2010 - Renee
- Stargazer? Boy is there an app for you. - September 27, 2010 - Deb
- Game: Bistro Cook - November 14, 2010 - CraftLass
- App Review: Starbucks Card - November 18, 2010 - Liz
- Quick Post - Not Call Log - December 7, 2010 - Renee
- Ultimate Android Accessory Gift Guide - December 19, 2010 - Renee
- Renee's Homescreen Makeover: LauncherPro follow-up - January 26, 2011 - Renee
- App Review: Zen Timer - February 10, 2011 - Sonya
- Deciphering Permissions: "Read Phone State and Identity" - March 13, 2011 - Renee
- App Review: Carrr Matey - March 24, 2011 - Sonya
- App Review: Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner - April 10, 2011 - Sonya
- Female Faves: Travel & Local Apps - May 26, 2011 - Renee
- App Review: DropSnap - June 26, 2011 - Renee
- App Review: MyBookDroid - July 31, 2011 - Sonya
- App Review: Dropwords - February 5, 2012 - Sonya
My advice for beginners is: don’t go downloading 50 apps right away that you may never use and that could clutter your phone, use memory, and drain your battery. Start with a few useful apps that your friends recommend, a couple apps that show off your new phone’s capabilities (like Google Sky Map), and a few games if you play them, and then as you go through your daily life, think of apps that can help make things you do easier or more fun and organize them into folders. For instance, if you go to the movie theater often, install the Movies app so the latest titles and showtimes are at your fingertips, and put its icon in an “Entertainment” folder on your homescreen.
Basically, customize the phone for YOUR life, and if you think of something your Android phone could do to make your life better, search the market – there might be an app that does exactly what you need! Also, if something is annoying you about the phone, like if your battery is running low often, find an app that can help you with the problem, like the Power Control Widget in this case.
If you don’t yet have a sleeve to protect your phone, check out these handmade sleeves from Etsy sellers that have sponsored giveaways on WomenWithDroids or our Droidette Store! Also, see our affiliate store for more cases and other accessories.
And of course, subscribe to WomenWithDroids or follow us on twitter @droidwomen to receive app reviews and how-to advice regularly! (You can even add a shortcut to our mobile version to your homescreen.)
And welcome to WomenWithDroids, we’re so glad you found us!